Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:Questions regarding development/git version...
Date:18:14:37 10/05/2018

Tools for the log in are the log_tools/ directory; there's tools to dump the JSON records for reports processing, or to dump the pcap logs (or specific interface pcaps, etc)

Filtering is not currently implemented. There will be some form of filtering in the future, but probably not of quite the same form - likely something to make it simpler to write complex filters.

You could disable ncurses with --no-ncurses on the command line, if you want to preserve that text, but all that info is presented in the web interface, as well. It's also logged into the kismet logfile (or will be soon, if that hook isn't implemented - I'll have to check).

-m

> I have downloaded the latest source code (using git), and compiled/installed kismet (version 2017-00-DEV) on Linux. Everything is mostly working fine (the new web gui is great!), but I do have a few questions:
>
>
> * When I run kismet, it generates unified logs (*.kismet files) by default. How do I interpret/decode them? I am especially interested in the log files (output by the server) and the pcap files.
>
>
> * When the kismet server runs, I'm unable to control the scrolling of the text in the server window. I end up missing the messages at the beginning. How can I see the full output?
>
>
> * I was not able to get filtering to work. For example, the line
>
> filter_tracker=SOURCE(11:22:33:44:55:66)
>
> in the etc/kismet.conf file had no effect. Is filtering working in this release?
>
>
> That's it for now. I may have more questions later on. Thanks for your time.

Reply to this message