Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:marsthrax
Subject:Kismet doesn't recognize ath10k_pci
Date:22:12:54 05/01/2017

I am having issues using Kismet on my Manjaro (Arch derivative) laptop. After installing the kismet package (2016_07_R1-1) from the Manjaro repositories, I added myself to the kismet group and ran `newgrp kismet` to ensure that I am in the group (running groups confirms I am in it, and I don't get any root permission errors). I then run `kismet`, and when prompted start the server and set the source to wlp3s0 (the wireless interface on my machine). After that, the server log shows the following error:

"Didn't understand driver 'ath10k_pci' for interface 'wlp3s0', but it looks like a mach 80211 device so Kismet will use the generic options for it." No further errors show up (although there is an info message saying "channel get ioctl failed 61: No data available"). Eventually, I get a read complaining that it "failed to read a packet from wlp3s0. The interface is no longer up. Usually this happens when a DHCP client daemon is left running and times out, turning off the interface". I'm fairly certain that isn't the case, but am still looking into it.

Since the error message stated I should let you guys know it didn't recognize ath10k_pci, and because I wasn't seeing the expected output, I figured I'd drop a line before going too far down the rabbit hole (in case my hardware just isn't supported yet). Any thoughts on how best to continue troubleshooting (or confirmation regarding hardware support) would be greatly appreciated!

In case it is helpful, here is the output of lspci:

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0042] (rev 31)
Subsystem: Lite-On Communications Inc Device [11ad:08a6]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 133
Memory at b4200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/8 Maskable+ 64bit-
Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [148] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [168] Device Serial Number 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
Capabilities: [178] Latency Tolerance Reporting
Capabilities: [180] L1 PM Substates
Kernel driver in use: ath10k_pci