Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:taospartan
Subject:Log File Issues
Date:22:01:26 05/11/2016

Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I will progress writing a custom client, thank you for producing such a wonderful tool!

Tao

> Log interval determines how often it generates the netxml and nettxt files; it always names them the same. They're only incremented if on startup those files already exist.
>
> If you want to have it make entirely new files, the easiest route is to periodically kill & restart kismet; there's no good way to make incremental files w/ the way kismet keeps the historical data.
>
> If you want live access to the logs, the best route is to write a custom client - this is becoming significantly easier with the new code in development which provides a http rest interface; the code and examples in python and the new web-based UI are in git under the master branch; with the new API you could even turn off file-based logging and grab json records periodically via the rest interface, and it includes memory management for "infinite" run-time on smaller platforms like the rpi by purging older, idle devices, effectively giving you the ability to snapshot at intervals (which i *think* is what, essentially, you want?) with a handful of lines of python (or whatever)
>
> -m
>
> > hi
> >
> > I've install from source the newest version of kismet on a lite debian build on a rpi3.
> > I'm successfully starting and stopping a daemonised kismet-server using init.d, connecting to the server instance via a client, it shows kismet operating normally.
> > i've set a directory in the kismet.conf that the logfiles to be written too, this is working. Also i've set the writeinterval=60 which is updating the output files correctly every 60 secs; however the files updated are just the log files created upon the kismet startup, ive left the pi running now for 24+ hours yet all data is just being written to those first files, no new files are generated.
> >
> > Ive read the documentation and cannot find anything related to the writeinterval setting. Looking at the log template it mentions incremental files and there is a setting for that.
> >
> > So after that rather long winded prelude does a) is writeinterval meant to set when a new file is created using the date from the template settings? and b) what conditions have to be met in order for a file to be incremented?
> >
> > many thanks for your time
> >
> > tao

Reply to this message