Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:Log File Issues
Date:20:05:01 05/11/2016

Log interval determines how often it generates the netxml and nettxt files; it always names them the same. They're only incremented if on startup those files already exist.

If you want to have it make entirely new files, the easiest route is to periodically kill & restart kismet; there's no good way to make incremental files w/ the way kismet keeps the historical data.

If you want live access to the logs, the best route is to write a custom client - this is becoming significantly easier with the new code in development which provides a http rest interface; the code and examples in python and the new web-based UI are in git under the master branch; with the new API you could even turn off file-based logging and grab json records periodically via the rest interface, and it includes memory management for "infinite" run-time on smaller platforms like the rpi by purging older, idle devices, effectively giving you the ability to snapshot at intervals (which i *think* is what, essentially, you want?) with a handful of lines of python (or whatever)

-m

> hi
>
> I've install from source the newest version of kismet on a lite debian build on a rpi3.
> I'm successfully starting and stopping a daemonised kismet-server using init.d, connecting to the server instance via a client, it shows kismet operating normally.
> i've set a directory in the kismet.conf that the logfiles to be written too, this is working. Also i've set the writeinterval=60 which is updating the output files correctly every 60 secs; however the files updated are just the log files created upon the kismet startup, ive left the pi running now for 24+ hours yet all data is just being written to those first files, no new files are generated.
>
> Ive read the documentation and cannot find anything related to the writeinterval setting. Looking at the log template it mentions incremental files and there is a setting for that.
>
> So after that rather long winded prelude does a) is writeinterval meant to set when a new file is created using the date from the template settings? and b) what conditions have to be met in order for a file to be incremented?
>
> many thanks for your time
>
> tao

Reply to this message